Wednesday 9 November 2016

Master of Research: Reflective Blog 2

It's been about six weeks since I started this course. and I already feel like I've been on a huge journey of in depth learning. Creating my own schedule of lectures to attend was a challenge, but it has helped me to really reflect on where my strengths and weaknesses are and what I need to focus on. I've attended what feels like so many lectures, each with a specific aim, and have reflected on my learning from each, applying it to my project.
Today was an interesting turning point. During a lecture on ethics, we were asked to look at different scenarios of research and consider the ethical issues that might be involved. I found this really difficult as I had been considering the ethical implications of my own project and couldn't see past that. The lecturer said I needed to step out of 'my' project and look at it 'from above' - to consider research in general rather than so specifically concentrating on what I personally need to do for this project only. She also said that the aim of our research this time around is not to change the world, but to gain a master's degree. I have to disagree with that - primarily because I'm doing the degree in order to be able to do the research. This subject is so important to me that I really haven't focused on the fact that it's gaining me a qualification in the process!
I've started compiling a list of settings who are willing to help me access participants and so far have four settings - with a combined client base of over 500 families. The more settings I have on board, the higher the likelihood that I will find the perfect families to create case studies. There are so many things to consider, and as I've always thought, all of the considerations involve ethics of some sort which underpin the whole project. I have to ensure that the information I give to parents covers any eventuality so that the children, their families and even myself are protected. I can't gain ethical approval without putting all of this information in writing first, so that is what I am focusing on at the moment. When I have completed all the forms I need to create to submit for my ethical application, I will write a blog post purely about ethics.
Alongside this, I've got the information I gained from reading the literature kept in the back of my mind. The research will be more valid if I triangulate my evidence - what I have read cross referenced with things the children do/say and things the adults around them do/say. The initial work I'm doing now will form the basis of the research and is foundational - it has to be done to be safely built upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment